About Congo BioMed
Mission | Objectives | Founders
Congo BioMed Mission: To strengthen biomedical research capacity and infrastructure and enable Congolese researchers to participate fully in defining and implementing health research priorities in their own country.
Born out of the recognition that sustainable development in the low income countries requires prepared leaders who are with committed to change, Congo BioMed was formed with the intent of fostering opportunities for Congolese researchers determined to make a difference in their country.
Through targeted initiatives aimed at preparing leaders in the Congolese research community, Congo BioMed seeks to arm tomorrow’s Congolese health leaders, not with the weapons of Congo’s troubled past, but with the knowledge and resources necessary for meaningful change in the future.
Congo BioMed is a non-profit, non-governmental, international organization committed to promoting biomedical research, training, and sustainable health programs in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Congo BioMed Objectives:
- Assist Congolese nationals to obtain biomedical education and training opportunities locally and abroad
- Encourage and support Congolese health professionals to develop and carry out locally relevant research that will inform health policy
- Foster collaborative research relationships between Congolese and International research institutions
- Provide equipment and funding for improving biomedical and health infrastructure
- Strengthen institutional and professional biomedical research capacity and infrastructure that will enable Congolese researchers to participate fully in defining and implementing health research priorities in their own country
Congo BioMed Founded and Established by:
- Dr. Anne W. Rimoin, Ph.D., M.P.H, an Assistant Professor at the UCLA School of Public Health who directs a research program targeting emerging infectious disease in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Professor Jean Jacques Muyembe, the Director of the Congolese National Institute of Biomedical Research in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Professor Emile Okitolonda, Professor of Epidemiology, Kinshasa School of Public Health. Congo BioMed works in partnership with the Congolese Ministry of Health